Saturday, July 12, 2008

Holy Pop Cans!

Randy has been collecting pop cans for almost two years. All the guys at work put their cans in a box by Randy's desk and some of them have brought him bags from home. I don't think any of the cans were ours. One corner of our garage was covered with bags of cans. We missed the last time they were giving $.90 a pound. Randy was ready to get rid of them even if the price was low. He called this morning and the guy said today was the last day for $.90 a pound...if you have over 100 pounds (which we knew we did) and if they were crushed. Well almost half were crushed. It was already 9:30 and the place was closing at 12:00 so we had to get busy. We started dumping bags of cans out in the driveway and crushing them. Pretty soon our neighbor Terri came over and started to help and a little later her daughter Brittany came to help also. We got them all crushed and bagged and loaded to go by 11:00. We never would have been able to do it without Terri and Brittany's help. We ended up having 270 pounds! Randy got $240! Randy is going to Alaska in a few days on a missions trip so this money is a huge blessing to help pay for that.


.

5 comments:

brentandsarah said...

Thats totally awesome that he got in on the good price!! Praise God for some money for his trip! I bet it was amusing watching you guys crush them.

Sarah

joolee said...

How happy were you to have all that out of your garage!? Any plans while he is gone? Duluth is a short trip away.....

Nikki said...

I told Randy we should call you Sarah and tell you we were having a pop can crushing competition. I knew the word competition would send you right over!

Nikki said...

I'm going to my brother's for a couple of days. I'm not sure I could handle two road trips by myself. I would really like to come see you. I'm thinking a trip to Duluth in October to see the fall colors would be fun.

Kristi said...

Man--I'm ready to start collecting cans now!