Saturday, January 21, 2012

Ignorance Was Bliss


Okay. So, I have to admit that the whole healthy foods lifestyle overwhelms me. I'm not talking about eating your fruits and veggies and whole wheat bread. I mean the idea of knowing what's in and not in the foods I eat. This just wasn't an area I wanted to get into. Why? Because ignorance is bliss. Or least it was. For some reason, about a week and a half ago, I decided the time had come to look into the "whole foods" diet. It still overwhelms me, but now I'm not totally ignorant. So, if I don't change my eating, eating won't be blissful any more. I'm not sure eating will be blissful the whole foods way either, since it requires a little more work in the kitchen. I don't really enjoy cooking and usually pick a recipe based on how easy it looks. We're making some changes as a family. Some will be easier than others I'm sure. This past week we made homemade yogurt from raw milk. It was super runny, but the kids loved it. We made about 8 quarts more and I tried some today with some granola I made and it was delicious. I also tried an apple bran shake today for breakfast. It was definitely different than anything I've tried before, but I liked it and it was filling. The boys had some also and Isaiah said he wanted it again tomorrow. Randy and I just made some spelt(kind of flour) bread and I'm looking forward to trying it when it cools off. As it is often our tendency to share new things that we like with others, I'm sure I'll mention from time to time some new recipe we enjoy, but I will do my best not to "whole food" talk you to death.


When Randy brought home these farm fresh eggs, Olivia and I weren't so sure about the green eggs. Olivia jokingly said, "I don't like green eggs and ham!"

3 comments:

Wendy said...

That is awesome, Nikki!!! We make our own yogurt too and isn't it delish? I like your picture of the eggs, too. They look exactly like our eggs. We get green ones as well. Please continue to share all the new things you come across. It's so fun learning. Keep up the great job.

Faith Kimbler said...

Thanks for not "whole food talk"-ing us to death! LOL Yes, that can be a danger! But since I'm also finding out that ignorance isn't always bliss, I'd love to get your new recipes!! Enjoy the fact that your whole family is up for the challenge...I'm jealous. :) So when are you guys moving to the country and starting your own farm?? I can see Randy in overalls slopping the pigs, can't you?

Kristi said...

We've also been getting farm fresh eggs for awhile. And we're going to start an anti-inflammatory "diet" soon--not looking forward to cutting the sugar.